Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Falling in Love



Just like myself, Josephine Baker was a black girl in Paris (yet, that was over 50 years ago) and she fell in love with Paris just like I did.  Ms. Baker was so loved by France that she actually became a citizen in 1937.  While she came to Paris to escape the racism in the states and I came to Paris to find my joie de vivre and a new peace of mind, we both fell in love with this city and the country of France and our love is just the same.  I admire Ms. Baker and her courage to do what others may have considered crazy and insane and for going after her hearts desires.  This video is actually her singing at Follies Bergère in Pigalle (Paris), the song is called "J'ai deux amours" (I have two loves) as she goes on to say, J'ai deux amours, mon payee et Paris (I have two loves, my country and Paris).  My sentiments exactly, I can finally exhale.

Bisous,
Jennifer Pauline 

2 comments:

Renee said...

I love this post, I think it's so amazing that you had the chance to travel to Paris. I have an obsession with ms. Baker and like her I wish I could escape the states too. I just have a few questions for you [ I hope its not to personal] Did u travel to paris alone? Do you speak fluent french? And what was it really like for a black girl in Paris in 2008?

Ag said...

I love Paris and as an American currently living in the UK I really love the city and want to go back soon. Josephine baker was the epitome of elegance and had a beautiful voice. I am glad you love Paris.... continue to enjoy your time there!