Thursday, December 11, 2008

Lillies of the Water: Claude Monet

As scary as this may sound, my time in Paris is winding down and I'm using my last week for pure indulgence. Museums, vintage shopping and any other ideas that I can come up with! Yesterday I made my way to L'Orangerie mueseum, to visit some breathtaking oil paintings by Claude Monet, known in french as Les NymphĂ©as and in english as The Water Lillies. 
 My original plan was to head over to Jeu de Paume and hopefully find some remnants of the Richard Avedon exhibit that I missed back in September, but when I arrived, their doors were closed and in true parisian spirit, I walked through the Tuilerie gardens to the other museum I've been waiting to see, L'Orangerie.  This, I must add is why I love Paris, you can wake up one day and go say hello to Demarchelier, Monet or Avedon and you can even head over to the Picasso mueseum to see many of his works and if you're really feeling artsy you can take the 1 metro to the Louvre and see the famous Mona Lisa painting.
The water lillies are actually a series of about 250 oil paintings by Claude Monet, which depicted the garden from his house in Giverny.    The Orangerie houses 8 of these amazing paintings, while the rest are scattered all around the world.
When I attended fashion week back in October, one of the presenting designers Akris, was inspired by the water lillies for some of the pieces in his collection. See the video below, I love it, and Chanel Iman working her dress :)





Bisous,
Jennifer Pauline

3 comments:

Niki McNeill Brown said...

that looks amazing!

Dolce said...

fashion truly.is.art.

Eni + Anu said...

I adore Akris!

When I saw this collection at Nordstrom,, I could tell it had a Monet feeling. I love it sooo much! *tear*