Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Paris in Black & White (well, sorta)

A day in Paris is never dull or dry, whether it is dreary or sunny outside I always seem to find my "joie de vivre" in the littlest things.  May it be in les enfants walking with their family speaking better french than me or in the old women who walk their petit chiens along Rue Montparnasse with their blue kitten heels, blue croc Chanel tote and oversized sunglasses, or me simply sitting in the window gazing into the courtyard.  I sometimes find myself shouting "Thanks God, you really showed out this time" when I realize that I'm really in Paris, I'm really living in Paris.  

Although there are many paths that I have not walked and landmarks that I have not seen, today I found myself back in my favorite place, Le Jardin des Tuileries.  Returning to my spot around the pond in the center of the Tuileries, with the sun kissing my skin and the wind cooling my neck I found serenity for the second time and I was at peace in my mind (while also continue reading my James Baldwin book). 

As I took a break from reading, I watched the Tuileries pond resident ducks swim around on the hunt for a cracker or bread, and I along with some children around the pond suddenly became duck feeders for a bit.  Children are always so fascinated with the little things in life, comparable to my fascination with Paris and I thought I'd capture some of the intent stares and looks of awe and excitement on these little ones faces (see below).
cont....


I left the Tuileries in search of my next destination, the base of the Eiffel Tower.  After having taken the 12 metro to the 4 metro to the 11 metro for school, I took the 11 to the 1 for the Tuileries and then I hopped on the 1 to the 6 to get to the Eiffel Tower (with my Paris Practique in hand of course).  I made it to La Tour Eiffel around 2:30 pm, just in time to take a couple of pictures before I had my french class at the Sorbonne.  I love my new city.
Bisou Bisou,
Jennifer Pauline

1 comment:

Paulette said...

Bonjour!! J'taime le black and white picture mais let's see some of the wonderful buildings...I am in Paris with you :))) I will be there in a few short weeks Tante P